Wednesday, October 29, 2014

And I Sang Holy Holy

I have been postponing the discussion on Me and a Gun.  This is a hard one for me to speak with authority on.  I was the victim of an attempted assault, but never of a completed one.  I am very lucky in that regard.  The man who tried to assault me stopped when I yelled at him several times.  I spoke with authority and he backed off.  I do know Tae Kwon Do, but am reluctant to hurt anyone.

Here are the statistics:
  • Every 2 minutes, another American is sexually assaulted
  • There is an average of 237,868 victims (age 12 or older) of sexual assault each year
  • 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police
  • 97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail
  • Approximately 2/3 of assaults are committed by someone known to the victim
  • 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance
These are taken from the RAINN website.

In my case it was a date rape attempt. I never reported it, and I have seen him since trying to pick up other girls. I feel terrible for not reporting, but honestly thought it was a cultural misunderstanding. Now I'm not so sure.  It happened about three years ago, and so it's too late now.  I would urge anyone in the same situation to report.  I was really afraid the police wouldn't listen, would blame me for the attack as I went alone to his home.  BIG mistake, that.  I won't be so trusting again.  From now on, they take me to a restaurant for dinner.  I meet them there.  I won't get into a car with any man I don't know very well.  Not after that.

 1.800.656.HOPE(4673) is the number for RAINN.  Remember, they are there 24/7. If you need someone to talk to call them!  

No comments:

Post a Comment