Here are the statistics:
- Every 2 minutes, another American is sexually assaulted
- There is an average of 237,868 victims (age 12 or older) of sexual assault each year
- 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police
- 97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail
- Approximately 2/3 of assaults are committed by someone known to the victim
- 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance
In my case it was a date rape attempt. I never reported it, and I have seen him since trying to pick up other girls. I feel terrible for not reporting, but honestly thought it was a cultural misunderstanding. Now I'm not so sure. It happened about three years ago, and so it's too late now. I would urge anyone in the same situation to report. I was really afraid the police wouldn't listen, would blame me for the attack as I went alone to his home. BIG mistake, that. I won't be so trusting again. From now on, they take me to a restaurant for dinner. I meet them there. I won't get into a car with any man I don't know very well. Not after that.
1.800.656.HOPE(4673) is the number for RAINN. Remember, they are there 24/7. If you need someone to talk to call them!